Otto Wagner architect and owner designed one single urban block that cemented the Jugendstil movement with Linke Wienzeile 40 and Linke Wienzeile 38 in 1899. The project composed of three buildings, Linke Wienzeile 40 and 38 which turn the corner to Köstlergasse 3.
Wagner dismissed classical decoration and introduced a new architectural simplicity, with flat exterior walls and plain, regular window treatments meant to reflect the orderly layout of the apartments behind them. For the exterior decoration, he turned to his younger Secessionist cohorts Joseph Olbrich and Koloman Moser. Olbrich and Moser designed the ornate Jugendstil patterns of red-majolica-tile roses on number 40, also known as the Majolikahaus and gold stucco medallions on number 38 that gloriously brighten the facades of the adjacent house.
These houses designed in the later stage of Wagner’s career shows his final break with historicism characteristic of his early work and adherence to Viennese Secessionist movement